This issue occurs during vCenter Update Manager installation if the server is set with a name that is not resolvable from the ESX/ESXi hosts.
For example, if you choose a Windows netBIOS name instead of a DNS name to identify the vCenter Update Manager server on the network, the hosts in the SCAN/STAGE/REMEDIATE operation returns the error: Host cannot download files from VMware vSphere Update Manager patch store.
To resolve this issue:
- Select an ESX/ESXi host for scanning.
- Click the Update Manager tab.
- Click Admin View > Configuration > Network Connectivity.
- Click IP address or host name for the patch store and enter the appropriate IP address.
- Rescan the ESX/ESXi host.
Note: To permanently fix this issue, ensure the nslookup of the vCenter Update Manager server from the SSH session of ESX/ESXi host can resolve both forward and reverse IP. The DNS entry of the vCenter Update Manager server should be configured properly in the DNS server.
Based on VMware KB 2007398