To disable VMware Player from automatically checking for updates:
- Go to File > Player Preferences.
- Deselect Check for product updates on startup.
- Click OK.
You can also accomplish this by modifying the user preference file for VMware Player.
To edit the user preferences file:
- Locate and open the preferences file. The default locations are:
- Windows 7 and Vista – C:\Users\[username]\VMware\AppData\Roaming\VMware\preferences.ini
- Windows XP – C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\VMware\VMware\preferences.ini
- Linux – ~/.vmware/preferences
- Find this line within the file:
In VMware Player 3.x and earlier releases:
In VMware Player 4.x:
- Change the value within quotes to:
Note: You can toggle DENY to ALLOW to enable automatic software update checks.
Based on VMware KB 1026361