This article provides steps to backup the vCenter Server database running on Microsoft SQL or SQL Express server as a regular maintenance task.
To back up the vCenter Server database:
Download and install Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express.
Note: The preceding links were correct as of April 6, 2012. If you find a link is broken, provide feedback and a VMware employee will update the link.
- Open the SQL Server Management Studio Express and connect to the vCenter Server database server or instance.
Note: If you are not using a dedicated SQL server, the database resides on vCenter Server. To verify the location and database name:
- Open the ODBC connector.
- Click the System DSN tab.
- Find the vCenter Server item.
- Click on configure.
- Proceed through the steps and note the SQL Server and the default database.
- Expand Databases and look for the vCenter Server database. It is usually named as VIM_VCDB, unless you renamed it during the initial creation.
- Right-click the vCenter Server database and click Tasks > Back Up.
- Select your backup options and click OK.
- Copy the backup file to a safe location during any type of maintenance or upgrades. Ensure to perform this backup before you perform any operation on vCenter Server as it holds current and historical data.
Based on VMware KB 2012138