After upgrading from ESXi 4.0 to 4.1, you experience these symptoms:
- Unable to add the ESXi 4.1 host to vCenter Server 4.1
- Adding or connecting the host to vCenter Server fails
- You see the error:
Permission to perform this operation was denied
You do not hold privilege "Host > Configuration > Network configuration" on host
This issue occurs because the vpxuser does not have the required permissions.
To resolve this issue:
- Delete the vpxuser using the command:
- Remove the vpx agent from the host. For information on removing the vpx agent, see Reinstalling the vpxa or aam agent without losing the host record from the vCenter Server database (1031919)
- Add the vpx agent again by reconnecting the host to vCenter Server.
For more information, see Verifying and reinstalling the correct version of the VirtualCenter Server agents(1003714).
If this does not resolve your issue:
- Connect directly to the host via vSphere Client.
- Assign vpxuser to different a role and then re-assign it back to the Administrator role.
Based on VMware KB 1030982