VMware Workstation 8 allows you to create a remote connection to an ESX/ESXi/vCenter Server to manage virtual machines. When connected to a remote machine, you can:
- Create new Datacenters on a vCenter Server
- Check the power status of virtual machines
- Power on and off existing virtual machines
- Create new virtual machines
- Modify virtual machine settings (hard disk, CD-ROM, etc)
- Upload virtual machines to the server using the OVF tool
To connect to a remote server:
- Go to File > Connect to server.
- Enter the server hostname or IP address and username and password. If the server runs on a non-standard port, follow the hostname / address with a colon and then the port number.
- When prompted you can choose to store the password, to never store the password, or to decide later.
Based on VMware KB 2005822