If you have Windows 32bit virtual machines with more than 3 GB memory and the ESX 4.0 Update 1 version of VMware Tools with the VMware XPDM SVGA II graphics driver installed, you may experience these symptoms:
The virtual machines fail.
You see the error:
VMware ESX unrecoverable error: (vcpu-*) Unexpected return status from VMKernel_SetupPhysMemMap(pagein, * pages): Not found
- This issue occurs when you shut down the virtual machines or during the shutdown phase of a reboot.
- If the virtual machines are running OpenGL applications, failures may occur outside of shutdown or reboot operations.
This issue is resolved in ESX/ESXi 4.0 Update 2. To download ESX/ESXi 4.0 Update 2,
This issue is caused by the VMware XPDM SVGA II graphics driver.
To workaround this issue in versions prior to ESX/ESXi 4.0 Update 2, try one of these options:
- If video acceleration is not necessary, remove the driver and install the Windows SVGA default driver.
- Downgrade the VMware XPDM SVGA II graphics driver by using Windows Roll Back Driver feature.
- If VMware Tools is freshly installed with the ESX 4.0 Update 1 version, the Roll Back Driver feature is not an option. In this case, use the driver from a virtual machine that still has the ESX 4.0 version of VMware Tools:
Based on VMware KB 1020158
- Copy the contents of C:\Program Files\VMware\Vmware Tools\Drivers\video from a virtual machine that has still the ESX 4.0 version of VMware Tools to a shareable location.
Note: The VMware XPDM SVGA II driver (188.8.131.52) from ESX 4.0 is also attached to this article.
- Open the Windows Device Manager, expand Display Adapters and right-click VMware SVGA II.
- Choose Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), then select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.
- Click Have Disk... and point to the formerly shared, old VMware Display Drivers vmx_svga.inf.
- Follow the installation and reboot the virtual machine.