Release date: March 15, 2012
For build information, see KB 2010823.
March 15, 2012
762976, 782966, 785495, 817811
Related CVE numbers
CVE-2009-3560, CVE-2009-3720, CVE-2010-1634, CVE-2010-2089, CVE-2011-1521, and CVE-2010-0405.
For information on patch and update classification, see KB 2014447.
Summaries and Symptoms
This patch updates the esx-base, tools-light, and net-e1000eVIBs to resolve multiple issues:
- The updated esx-base VIB resolves the following issues:
- PR 762976: After you log in to an ESXi host at the console and then log in to the Tech Support Mode (Mode) as root user and initiate a remote server console access session, a non-privileged user might obtain root access to the ESXi host, if the remote access session has not timed out or remains idle.
Starting with this release, you can configure a session timeout to exit ESXi Tech Support Mode (TSM) as follows:
- Log in to Tech Support Mode (Mode) as root user.
- Edit /etc/profile file to add TMOUT=
- Exit Tech Support Mode (Mode)
- PR 782966: Logs are written to syslog server even if syslog firewall rule-set is not enabled on an ESXi host.
- PR 785495: The Python third party library is updated to version 2.6.7 on ESXi to resolve multiple security issues.
The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the names CVE-2009-3560, CVE-2009-3720, CVE-2010-1634, CVE-2010-2089, and CVE-2011-1521 to these issues.
- PR 817811: The bzip2 library is updated to version 1.0.6, which resolves a security issue. The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project (cve.mitre.org) has assigned the name CVE-2010-0405 to this issue.
- The updated tools-light VIB deprecates an old version of VMware Tools.
- The updated net-e1000eVIB addresses a stability issue.
None beyond the required patch bundles and reboot information listed in the table above.
Patch Download and Installation
The typical way to apply patches to ESXi hosts is through the VMware Update Manager. For details, see the Installing and Administering VMware vSphere Update Manager.
Based on VMware KB 2012673